Monday 13 September 2010

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate, that is the question

Vaccinations
Only 4 weeks to go and I'm having major doubts about my decision not to have the recommended vaccinations.

Being in the natural health business, I've learned a lot over the years about the risks of vaccinations and what the actual vaccinations contain. For example, formaldehyde, aspartame, and mercury.

When travelling to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam a few years ago, and last year to the Great Wall of China, I decided against being vaccinated and took natural remedies instead. I boosted my immune system and my gut flora and was particularly careful when away with hygiene and health. I took homeopathic alternatives to malaria, typhoid, hep A etc. and I was absolutely fine. I had no problems.

So, I was planning to do the same for Kilimanjaro. I have now got all the lotions and potions I need and have listed what I need to take and when. I'm all set to go.

But now I'm having second thoughts. I've realised that we won't be having bottled water on the mountain. They're collecting the water from the mountain each day and boiling it. This should be OK, but I'm not so sure to be honest. Also, I'm not so certain about the hygiene of the helpers in Africa now for some reason. And after the reports of Cheryl Cole contracting Malaria after visiting Tanzania, it's all just about put me in a bit of a panic.

Malaria tablets - OMG, they can give you depression, anxiety, vivid dreams, panic attacks etc...and in a very very small number of cases these can last years after completing the course apparently. I remember taking them when I went to Africa years ago and I felt really strange on them and had some really bad dreams.

Anyway, I've made a decision and booked myself in for the vaccinations and malaria medication. I'm feeling quite strange about it all really as I can't be sure that it's all entirely safe. It goes against my gut feeling but I think I'm gonna have to do it. The trouble is, we don't know what the long term effects may be. We don't always know why people fall down dead for no apparent reason. Or why some people get sick or have seizures, or develop dementia, or cancer or other illnesses like Parkinson's or MS. The thing is, I don't know enough about it all to make a properly informed decision. Come to that, does anybody? No-one really knows the full extent of the risks I'm sure.

I just don't know if I'm making the right decision, but I only have 4 weeks to go so I needed to make my choice.

Training
My calf seems a lot better and yesterday I did an 11.2 mile country walk, which took 5 hours 15 mins. Three hours in and my legs and feet were aching and by the time I finished, I was really pleased to get back to my car. I did enjoy it, but it's a long time walking on my own. Luckily the weather was perfect and the scenery was fabulous, and I didn't get lost at all. The instructions were really good, with lots of compass bearings which really helped a lot.

I did some stretching when I got home and had a long soak in the bath. This morning I did the sun salutation and stretched it all out again.

Inspiration
I'm pleased to report that Sonya is seriously thinking about signing up for a trek in China next October to raise money for the moon bears; because, she says, I'm an inspiration! Wow, I'm really pleased about that. Go for it Sonya, you won't be sorry!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I bought some of your raffle tickets but didn't win anything lol I@ve literally just got back from climbing Kili last week so if you want to 'talk' email me on helenpooley1@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete